The Under 12 Girls have enjoyed a huge amount of hockey this season. Have a look at this summary including thank you's and end of season awards...
A few thoughts and thanks to all for a good season:
- First of all, a massive well done to the girls. Hockey is about having fun, making new mates and turning up every week to get better and have a good laugh on a Friday.
- It's hard in the bleak mid winter to do that in the cold and the rain and all the coaches we have had been super pleased about the attitude and temperament of the girls.
- I have been at the club about 10 years; in my experience this is the best organised and attended junior squad in the club.
- That is due to lots of keen girls, supported by positive parents and also to a bundle of great coaches who do spend every Friday for 8 months dedicated to coaching and getting the girls playing loads and loads of games.
- When Katie, Robert and I met at the start of the year we made a commitment to get as many girls playing at all levels as possible. o us the key is to play the game, learn from the wins and the losses and improve their skills as much as possible.
Here are some basic stats about the mighty u12 squad this year;
- We have run 22 Friday training sessions - all with training plans and organisations to make them happen.
- We have 114 girls registered in the age group of which 100 turn out regularly. That is the highest number in any team/squad in Guildford HC ever.
- 70-75 players attend training each week.
- We have well over 230 parents supporting us week in and week out.
- In terms of games the various squads have played a lot of games and tournaments;
- Performance have played 23 fixtures and had 4 game play training sessions
- Development has played 33 fixtures and had 6 game play training sessions
- Developing / Skills have played 19 fixtures and had 7 game play training sessions
In terms of outcomes:
- Performance have won all of their 11 a side matches - they are top of their league.
- We managed on the same weekend in Dec to take a team to Barcelona with Simon and came a highly credible 3rd and at the same time an u11 team came 3rd at the Teddington Festival.
- We also finished a highly creditable 3rd in the Tony Smith u13 cup at Surbiton in Jan.
- Development are top of the 7a side league and the other team are 4th in their league.
- In the Surrey Cup a few weeks ago, which had the most teams ever attend we finished with the A and the B team in the quarter finals and one side lost on golden goal to Wimbledon and one lost to the eventual champions Surbiton.
- Half of the squad are Under 11 this season so we start next season with a solid base of learning and experience.
Overall we have played a HUGE amount of hockey and had a great laugh.
It's amazing to see girls who have only started hockey this year now playing 11 aside games.
Guildford as a club is on the up in terms of adult hockey with both the mens and ladies 1st teams being promoted.
The Ladies side of the club has never been better with 5 ladies teams all with a chance of promotion and we are lucky to have Libby, our Ladies 1s Captain, helping coach in the GU12s.
We are also due to announce a Director of Hockey for the club; there will be many priorities for the Junior Section which will help improve our sessions and coaching. More news and details coming soon.
I would like to also make a brief appeal. If any of you are keen to get involved in coaching/umpiring or administration please let me or Libby know. It is a lot of work to get over 100 girls playing hockey and we are always grateful for help - mnay hands make light work. Even an hour per week is much appreciated!
I would also like to say a massive thanks to Ralph as the Guildford u12 girls sponsor and Ski Miquel for funding the great shirts you can see the girls wearing. It's great to have a local company backing the girls and adding so much to what we can do.
Player of the season - Holly Baird
Most improved player - Liza Semenenko
GU12 squad award for their commitment to the club: Gemma Mawdsley
Player of the season - Isobel Walton
Most improved player - Anouk McCann
GU12 squad award for their commitment to the club: Charlie Jarred
Player of the season - Lucy Claydon
Most improved player - Matilda O'Connor & Issy Disney
Thanks to all the coaches that help every week to make the sessions as fun as possible:
- Dan Thompson
- Jonathan Dye
- Mark Robinson
- Matthew Penney
- Sophie Sherman
- Thomas Matthew
- Simon Wilcockson
- Libby & Robert
- Katie for making it all happen.
All the best, James, Katie and Robert