Guildford Hockey Club Est. 1912

BU18s Win Takes Them to EH Cup Quarterfinals

 3rd Feb 2019

20181104-329-BU18vWokingThe snow and frost were not about to stop the Under 18s Round 3 matches from being played. Marlow and Guildford had Plans A, B and C at the ready as the snow and temperature forecasts were falling...



While pitches were being cleared thanks to our fine network of volunteers on Saturday at home, the Marlow boys were busy clearing their mroe weather resistant alternate pitch. And so it was Plan B: off to the Redgrave Sports Centre at Great Marlow School for a later pushback.

In the Marlow v Guildford league match earlier in the season, our energy reserves had let us down. The boys had all played school rugby or men's hockey the whole week and couldn't seem to dig deep enough to stop the Marlow attacks that day.

Not a problem today for this strong group of 16. The boys started on the front foot and with some good passing and linking up were able to get the ball to Elliot in the D who scored five minutes in from a beautful backhand shot for 1-0.

Things were looking good and there wasn't really anything to worry about - except that a second goal was elusive for the remainer of the first half. Will T had a few good shots that went just wide either side and a few other chances were missed. Our defence was solid and on the rare occasion a ball got through, Elliot C was there to make the save.

We had a PC on the half time whistle but went into the half time with only the one goal to show for our efforts.

The second half started as the first with more intesity. We had to face a PC about 7 minutes in though most of the attack was going our way. Solid defence once again and then we had a PC of our own. After a display of how not to inject/stop the ball, there was then some quick thinking on the part of Will T and Isaac who realised what had happened and made the best of the situation - with calm hands and head Isaac moved the ball forward and struck a lovely shot for 2-0.

Not long after Isaac found himself approaching the D from the left hand side and when the keeper committed at the near post, with a kind of diving move Isaac snuck the ball around him for 3-0.

A few more PC chances came and went. With Marlow trying to move the ball out of their end, Will T managed snatch the ball and get clear at the edge of the D with the ball and sent a backhand shot in on a 1v1 with the keeper.

Elliot C was then called into action again down at our end with a save in a PC and then another.

We were awarded a PC as the minutes and seconds counted down and this time Will F stepped up with what seemed like his 3 iron to smash in a shot so hard it nearly broke the backboard 5-0.

Meanwhile Sevenoaks beat Canterbury so the Quarterfinal is due to be Sevenoaks v Guildford on Sunday 10 February.





GHC Logo full colour final

Thank you to our Partners