Guildford Hockey Club Est. 1912

Ladies 2s Remain Unbeaten

 10th Dec 2016

20161008-265-Ladies2sTeam660Following a successful first half of the season, the closing match for Guildford Ladies 2s before the Christmas break was against one of our biggest rivals Surbiton (Ladies 5s)...

Having been postponed from a few weeks before, we knew this was a big match that would decide if we could retain our unbeaten title at the top of the league. Going in to the game we were tied at the top of the league with Wanderers Ladies 4s on 20 points and Surbiton trailing close behind with 17 points. A loss would mean three teams tied at the top, a win would push us clear.

We were up bright and early all ready and raring for this match. A slight slip up from Choi leaving the kit behind meant a quick trip back to Guilford for it but back in time for the team talk from our coach Chris.

Once play started we knew we were up against a tough side. Surbiton had strong experienced adult players driving from the back to get the ball up to their younger players at the front. The game was well matched with both teams pushing for a goal. However, a well drilled Surbiton press and disciplined formation meant that Guildford initially struggled to clear the ball from the back and finally succumbed Surbiton pressure to concede two goals within the first 20 minutes which put a lot of pressure on the Guildford side.

2-0 down we finally stepped up a gear scoring two goals from open play. Kat got a deflection off the keeper’s pads and put it straight over the keeper into the back of the net. Soon after, Edgie scored a fabulous reverse hit goal straight into the top right corner. The goal was questioned by the opposition as dangerous but was awarded to Guildford just moments before the half time whistle went making the half time score 2-2.

After half time, we came back aggressively, there was no question we wanted the win. Attack after attack we drove at Surbiton’s goal. Everything we had been practicing in training was finally put into play and we look frightening driving forward. Finally, Bea slipped one beyond the keeper making the score 3-2. Surbiton had a couple of breakaways but were quickly shut down by Guildford’s defence before any shots were taken.

When the final whistle went, a huge cheer went up from Guildford knowing not only that we had beaten Surbiton and were unbeaten for the first half of the season, but most importantly we were now sitting 3 points clear at the top of the league.



GHC Logo full colour final

Thank you to our Partners