The Under 14 Boys had their final weekly training session for the season followed by a wrap-up of the season and some end of season awards for those whose league matches have finished...
A huge amount of work goes into the season that runs from September to Easter with possibility of post-season events, too. It is a real time commitment from a lot of people to make the season happen.
Fifty boys have been training and playing. We committed to 5 leagues this season which was a big ask.
- came 2nd in the Mercian Premier League and did well therefore to qualify for the Mercian League Finals in May.
- The boys also played as the Mustangs team in a league against U16 teams to give those who are ready for it a real challenge.
- In the England Hockey National Championships (the 'Cup') we managed to qualify top of our Tier 1 Pool and now are through to the regional finals (Tier 2) on the 10th April.
- Overall we had 20+ boys getting experience in this squad and have played nearly 20 games this season already.
- We played in the South and the South+ Leagues and often boys have played between the B/C teams.
- In the South league we most often played other clubs' A teams and finished 5th in a tough league. Overall we have played 14 games this season to date.
- In the South+ league we managed to finish a highly creditable 4th out of 8 with 15 games overall.
- Played 15 games as a team and finished 2nd in the South Development League.
- Many boys also played up in the B and A teams which showed the ability of many boys to step up.
Overall the boys have played more than 50 games this season for a squad of 50 boys!!
- Charlie V– always a handful for the opposition defense, really remember a tough game vs Haslemere where he just didn’t stop sprinting & tracking back!
- Chan – the best jab tackler, consistently making himself a pain to the oppo forwards + gets stuck in without fear
- Nick – great team player - willing to play any position and tries hard
- Benjamin R – real step up in skills and confidence this year, strong in both back & midfield positions and a wicked strike at short corners
- Louie D – really shone as the season went on, good pace and real diligence at training
- Alex C – really improved his passing discipline as the year progressed, used his pace really well
- Harry F – always good at training, always committed during the matches
- James T – never stops running and is always cheerful
- Will S – I’ve played him in almost every position on the pitch, without a murmur, & he keeps on running.
- Felix R – has played really well all season. Has great stick skills, but spreads the ball well and has contributed well to the team.
- Bart B – was a key player in the team all season and the backbone of the defence. However, as well as playing sweeper, he often contributes to the team going forwards
- Mark W- has been the centre forward all season for the C’s. He has a great strike, is very quick and has the ability to finish, which is key for any striker
- James M – played the second half of the season as centre-mid and has really grown into this role. Became a key player in the team and always puts in an incredible level of effort. He can play in defence, mid-field or attack
- Christian M – put in a massive effort all season and covers an incredible amount of ground in every game. A really good attacking mid-fielder and scored quite a few goals.
- Jamie F - one of the hardest workers on the pitch. Plays in both defence and mid-field and always gives 100%. Developed some really great stick skills over the season.
- Rory – has played up front, mid-field and in defence and can play in all areas. Has really developed over the season and always puts in a massive effort.
- Nathan – [first season with the club] and has gone from strength to strength. He is now a key player in defence and always puts his heart into it.
- Dillon - developed into a really solid defender over the season, but also makes an important contribution when we attach from the back.
Many thanks to all the efforts from the 3 goalkeepers who spend a lot of time training at the club (separately and with the squad) and are there for the teams every week: Connor, Jack, James
Firstly I would like to thank all the people who make the games happen and help out umpiring.
Mike Cuin and Sally Foster, thanks very much for getting stuck in.
Also massive thanks for the coaches that turn up every week and support the development of the boys in the training and all the teams;
Also, special mention to Martin for all his commitment and support this year and the last 7 seasons.
Finally, a person who carries a lot of the burden to make all this happen. Zoe, you are star and we are all hugely grateful for all your hours and hours of emails and organisation.
Thanks to all the parents who get involved and get the boys at this busy time to training.
Last word goes to the boys:
Keep focused, stay positive, keep enjoying your hockey.
Good luck to the boys competing in the Regionals and Mercian Finals.