Guildford Hockey Club Est. 1912

Hard fought draw for the W3s at OGs

 24th Oct 2020

20201024-W3-vOGs-2A top of the table tie for Guildford Ladies 3 vs Old Georgians Ladies 2 was always going to be a tough fought battle. 


Guildford were immediately put under pressure with OG’s sneaking a strong first goal in the first 2 minutes. The early wake-up call resulted in Guildford starting to play some good hockey and then it was OGs turn to feel some pressure in their own half. But despite a couple of penalty corners, no change to the scoreline yet. Old Georgians were fast and accurate on the break, which gave the Guildford defence plenty to deal with. 


As the wind picked up, Guildford won a side-line ball deep in our half, played into the middle, and swiftly got the ball back into the D. A sneaky pass across the goal pulled the goalie off her line, and Bella calmly took the ball past the goalie and into the back of the net. 1-1 and game on!


Old Georgians responded and applied pressure to the Guildford defence who managed to keep their cool. The match continued, with both teams stealing the ball and pushing forward, only to be pushed back again. Then came a series of penalty corners - which neither team could convert - and emotions started to heighten on the pitch! 


Into the 2nd half – the wind picked up and the rain fell heavily which led to scrappy play and plenty of mistakes from both sides.  Dora, in goal, was kept busy as OGs seemed to have the upper hand but could not find the back of the goal. Then Guildford broke again from the defence, with Evie passing to Imo and then Imo to Belle and...GOAL!!!  Guildford take the lead!


The home team’s frustration turned into aggression and play became increasingly ugly. A vicious swing caught Lisa in the middle of her face and the game was temporarily paused to allow her to leave the field for medical attention (and avoid blood spilling on OG’s beautiful new blue astroturf!).


Guildford continued to battle hard to defend their lead and suffered another injury as Emma came off having taken a hit on the hand. The afore-mentioned injuries kept the match reporter, who was also acting as team 1st aider, a little busy during the 2nd half so some details went unrecorded.  However, just when it looked like Guildford were going to hang on to the lead, OG’s persistence paid off and they sneaked an equalizer just before the final whistle.  









GHC Logo full colour final

Thank you to our Partners