Girls U16 Squad
Welcome to the Under 16 Girls Squad! We are a large squad with girls of all ability levels in the Years 10 and 11 age group (girls turning 15 or 16 during the school year 1 Sep to 31 Aug).
Some girls may be joining us not having played club hockey before and some will have trialled for the England Squad. We have a large training group and three teams entered into leagues and make sure that all girls can develop and thrive according to their interests and ambitions.
- Training takes place from 8pm-9.30 on Friday evenings at Charterhouse (GU7 2RS). Please encourage your daughter to arrive early (15mins) to warmup and register at the beginning of each session to ensure we get the full 1.5 hours of training time on the pitch.
- Our Junior Section coaching is led by Director of Junior Hockey two-time Olympian Dan Fox who guides our coaching team given his deep experience of playing and coaching at top level. The Lead Coach for the age group is Adam Wilkins who is supported by assitant coaches (see below).
- Our coaches work closely with the girls to give feedback on what is working well and identify areas for improvement. They also coach the teams on the Sunday in matches and share feedback with each other on a weekly basis.
- Mid-week training sessions take place on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6pm to 7pm - starting date to be confirmed for this season (£5 charge per session).
- Holiday skills courses are also available and encouraged during school half-term breaks; see Juniors page for details.
- All girls are encouraged to play in 11-a-side U16 matches. Additionally, all of the girls are able to participate in Ladies matches if they so wish - indeed on any weekend you will find some of our U16 girls are currently representing GHC at 1s, 2s, 3s and 4s level!
- Our Under 16 Girls are entered into three leagues managed by the Home Counties Girls Hockey League:
- We also enter two teams into the England Hockey Junior Championships, also known as the 'National Cup'. The girls have a chance to progress from local to regional to national level through these competitions:
- England Hockey Girls Under 16 Tier 1 Competition
- England Hockey Girls Under 16 Tier 2 Competition
- The Premier League is the most competitive league in the HCGL (and likely in the country) and the top players are selected for this team based on performance in training and matches. The two Regional teams are similar in level and selections will generally be made based on the strength of the team required for the opposition on a given day...
- We aim to get games for those who are available (but might not achieve this every Sunday). Selection is based on a combination (on a given Sunday) of types of fixtures, strength of opposition teams, positions played and the availability of the entire squad on the day. We strive to make sure that each girl is playing in teams and matches that will develop, challenge and build confidence.
- GHC Website - Squad fixtures and results can be accessed through this webpage. There is a page for each league team (the Cup team is in the Premier team fixtures list). Please also check the website for other information about the club and latest news including match reports.
- Email - Please check email for important notices about training and matches.
- Doodle Poll - You will receive email requests for available using an online tool called Doodle Poll. Please complete the Doodle poll for dates asked as soon as possible so the coaches can plan and select. They cannot select your daughter if she is not showing in Doodle Poll for a given day.
- InTouch - this is our weekly newsletter pusblished on a Friday during the season. It takes only a minute to glance through what's happening at the club and has lots of other information that may be of interest. To see latest ediditons, please see the Home page (left hand side below the twitter feed). Please email if you are not receiving InTouch.
- Social Media - follow us and share your GHC news on twitter, facebook and instagram
Coaches and Management
Adam Wilkins leads the coaching for the squad and is supported by Robin Reed, Simon Tinkler and Gonzalo Patrixio.
is our Under 16 Girls Squad Manager. He looks after parent communications and fixtures for the Prem and Tier 1 Cup team.
is the contact for the Regional Teams and the EH Tier 2 team.
Have a fantastic season! New members welcome.