Girls Under 14s - Year 9
Welcome to the U14 Girls squad.
We are a thriving squad of enthusiastic Year 9 girls who have enjoyed plenty of success at all levels over the years.
In our 2021/22 season a number of our teams won their respective leagues & one of our teams reached the National Tier 2 Cup semi-final!!
This season we will continue to offer great hockey for all Year 9 girls and hope to go one step further in the Cup as well as continue our success in the England Hockey South East Leagues.
Please note - tell your friends and spread the word...
We are actively seeking U14 goalkeepers for the 2022/23 season. All our keepers receive specialised training in small groups every Friday night from our dedicated GK coaching team; they also have the opportunity to play in matches every Sunday.
When and Where:
Training takes place on Friday evenings at Charterhouse School from 6.20pm to 7.45pm.
- The first session for this season starts on Friday 9th September 2022 with training taking place on a weekly basis up to the end of the hockey season (end of March/beginning of April) with a short break for Christmas.
- In 2021/22 we continued to offer weekly training through to the end of June. This has been a great success and something we will continue as the girls enjoy it so much.
- The U14 girls squad operates under a comprehensive training programme designed the club's Director of Hockey and Director of Junior Coaching, double Olympian Dan Fox, and in line with the latest England Hockey techniques.
- Our coaches implement our training programme on Friday nights at training and ensure the skills learnt are utilised in matches on Sunday.
- The coaches are constantly looking at what is working well or not and identify areas for improvement, which are then incorporated into the Friday night training sessions.
- The coaches training the girls on a Friday night also manage the teams on a Sunday – this consistency really helps with the ongoing development of the girls and their team.
- All girls are encouraged to play in matches so they can put the skills they learn on a Friday night into action.
- Junior league and cup matches take place on Sundays throughout the season and are always 11-a-side fixtures.
- This season we have entered 4 teams into the South East Hockey League.
- At least 3 of our teams will also get the opportunity to play in the England Hockey Championships (known as the National Cup competitions).
- Our girls are selected for teams based on level/ability of the opposition, the type of fixture, and the availability of the squad on the day.
- Coaches meet regularly to discuss selection, seeking to ensure that progress is rewarded, and that girls who are struggling get the opportunity to build their confidence in the best possible group. We value parents' support in this process.
- Most girls who make themselves available for a fixture are selected to play.
- From the age of 13 girls can play in Adult league matches; these take place on a Saturday. If your player is interested, please speak with Lead Coach, Libby.
Coaches & Management
For the 2022/23 season we are pleased to report that we have an incredibly strong coaching team:
- Lead Coach: Libby Leadbeater – England Hockey Level 2 Coach, England Masters & GHC Women's 1st XI player 2022
- Coaches: Nicky Dowds (England Hockey Level 2), Geoff Mann, Jonny Sleeman, Jo Lawton & a number of Young Leaders to assist with weekly training
- Squad Manger: Linda Alexander. Linda is your main point of contact for anything to do with U14 Girls’ hockey throughout the season:
Most of the squad communication will be done via Teamo, however we also use email to make parents aware of certain fixtures, player availability & selection etc.
Teamo is the online Club management tool for GHC and is used to liaise with the parents/guardians of players. The tool can be accessed from a phone app or from a computer.
Training - Players registered with the club will be invited to training each Friday night; parents need to log in to Teamo and register their players' attendance.
Sunday fixtures - Players will be asked to confirm their availability for selected matches via Teamo; again, we require parents to do this in Teamo.
Please look out for the Club's weekly email that goes to all Club members. This will make you aware of what is going on at the Club. If you don't receive your copy of InTouch, it can also be found on the website homepage.
Please feel free to share your corner of GHC with our weekly newsletter so we can celebrate the Girls U14 squad progress, enjoyment and achievements. Email - thank you.
Follow the club and find out what's going via:
Please share your hockey and GHC news with our news team .