Girls U12 Squad
|Squad||Under 12 Girls (school years 6 & 7)|
|Age Group Leader|
|Assistant Coaches||Bob Easton, GeoffMann, Jon Dye, Dan Thompson, Simon Wilcockson, Charlie Haynes, Phil Meakin, Joanne Lawton, Ross Fergusson, Suzanne Allen|
|Training||Friday evening - tbc|
Leagues and Competitions:
|Alternate Sundays||MegaLeague Fixtures|
|EH In2Hockey County Finals||Surrey Cup and Plate (February, March)|
|Xmas Invitational, Tony Smith Invitational||December|
We have a thriving squad of enthusiastic Under 12 Girls including girls of all ability levels ranging from those who have played for club and school to those who are beginners and have hardly touched a hockey stick.
The squad includes school years 6 and 7, i.e. girls who either turn 11 or 12 years old during the school year (1 September to 31 August).
Training normally takes place at Charterhouse sports centre, Duke's Drive, Godalming GU7 2RS. To find the hockey pitch, enter the school via Queen's Drive entrance off Hurtmore Road (GU7 2BY). This will be different at the start of the 2020/21 season - please check here for updates.
Our Junior Section has a comprehensive training programme for all age groups to ensure that each group is covering a breadth and depth of skills during the season. This is designed by our Director of Hockey, Dan Fox, in line with the latest England Hockey techniques and is implemented by the GU12 coaches during each session and supported by Dan throughout the season.
Our coaches work closely with the girls on Friday nights at training and also at matches on Sunday. The coaches constantly look at what is working well or not and identify areas for improvement, which are then incorporated in the Friday night training sessions.
Extra mid-week skills sessions are on offer during the season on Tuesday evening from 6pm to 8pm (£5 charge per session payable on arrival).
Holiday skills courses are also available and encouraged during school half-term breaks (see Juniors page for details).
New this season, GHC will be part of a MegaLeague that aims to provide a better variety and level of matches for U8-13s. We are looking forward to taking part in this new league. MegaLeague matches will be on alternate Sundays.
- In addition to the league fixtures, we organise friendly matches in both formats to keep the girls enjoying the team aspect of the sport and learning how the game is played.
- We also participate in the Surrey County Cup and Plate competitions that take place towards the end of the season and can lead to Regional and National competitions.
- Girls are selected for teams based on:
- the types of fixtures
- the level of the opposition teams
- the availability of the squad on the day
- positions played
- opportunities for development
- We strive to make sure that each girl is playing in teams and matches that will both develop and challenge her. Most girls who make themselves available for a fixture are selected to play; the 7-a-side format allows us to organise multiple teams depending on the number of girls available.
All club communications for Under 18s involves parents - it is really important that you engage with our communication channels and with those who are helping provide a great hockey experience for your daughter:
- Teamo - this is our new Club Management tool. Please register if you have not done so already:
- GHC Website - Fixtures, results and match reports can be accessed through our GU12 webpage. Coaches try to produce match reports on how the girls played in their matches and tournaments - help with this is very welcome.
- Email - Match details and availability are managed through email. is our Squad Manager and will be liaising with parents about matches, availability, training and more. Katie will be in touch about who can play on a given day and can also help to answer any questions you may have. Thank you in advance for responding promptly to requests about availability.
- InTouch - please look out for the Club's weekly email that goes to all Club members. GU12s will be celebrated as much as our parents contribute and you can also see how other age groups and the rest of the club are doing and keep informed of upcoming events and our sponsor/partner news.
- Social Media - follow GHC on facebook, Twitter and Instagram and be part of our hockey network.
Coaches, Management & Support
We have a dedicated group of coaches and parent helpers led by Mercedes. We also have in place a supportive group of parents, many of whom help with time keeping, umpiring and other important aspects of running the squad and club.
Please let us know if you have time to assist the squad in either a hockey or non-hockey role - all are more than welcome!
We run Coach Education sessions through our GHC Director of Hockey, Dan Fox, which can help you get up to speed on what and how to coach. We can help with umpiring courses and other hockey knowledge that can help you feel ready to contribute.
We welcome and value those who can help in non-hockey roles like writing match reports, sending in photographs, and ad hoc admin/coordination roles like organising a social event, an extra match, a tour or a tournament.
Please don't be shy - our volunteers can have as much fun and fulfilment as our players.