Girls U18 Squad
|League||Home Counties Girls Hockey League Under 18|
|EH Cup||England Hockey Girls Under 18 Tier 2 Competition|
The Under 18 Girls squad includes girls of all ability levels who will represent GHC in both League and Cup competitions during 2017/18. Additionally as individuals they play a significant role in our Ladies teams (1s-5s). The squad includes girls who either turn 17 or 18 years of age during the school year (1 September to 31 August).
For the 2017/18 season, with many of the U18s already participating in Ladies teams, the majority of the girls will access weekly training sessions as part of the 1s/2s or 3s/4s/5s training sessions. In addition to these weekly sessions the U18 Squad will train as a group on an ad-hoc basis focussing on team preparation prior to League and Cup matches. This allows all the girls to play and train to the highest of their ability level, in addition to providing an U18 training environment that builds a competitive, supportive and social U18 squad.
U18 Squad training will focus on match preparation, with session focus splitting 50:50 between skill development and 7-a-side games to put into practice matchplay skills.
- U18 Training sessions will usually take place at Broadwater School either Thursday 7-8:30pm, or on Sunday afternoons. Players are expected to arrive early (15mins) to warmup and register at the beginning of each session to ensure we get the full 1.5 hours of training time on the pitch.
- All information relating to mid-week Ladies training is available on the GHC website. Training with 3s/4/5s is open to all U18s with 1s/2s training by invitation (usually following an introduction to ladies hockey through 3s/4s/5s training and matches). If the player has not played previously for GHC Ladies it is recommended that they speak in the first instance to U18 Coach, David Dickson, who will assist in introducing the player to the appropriate contact within the Ladies section.
- Holiday skills courses (14-18yr sessions) are also available and attendance at these is encouraged during school half-term breaks (see Juniors page for details).
- All players are encouraged to play in 11-a-side U18 matches played on Sundays. Additionally, all of the girls are able to participate in Ladies matches (Saturdays) - and those that choose to will find themselves playing alongside both U18 teammates and U16 girls already representing GHC at 1s, 2s, 3s, 4s and 5s level!
- Our Under 18 Girls are entered the following league managed by the Home Counties Girls Hockey League:
- Our strongest U18s will also participate in the England Hockey Junior League competition, Girls’ U18 Tier 2 Championships, this is a National Cup competition - in a knockout format promising some nail biting matches:
- Girls are selected for teams based on the types of fixtures, the level of the opposition teams and the availability of the squad on the day.
- GHC Website - Fixtures and Results can be accessed through this webpage.
- Email - Match details and availability are managed through email. Squad communications is managed by Sarah Egerton who asks for player availabilty for fixtures on given dates. Availability is sent through to the head coach who selects the team with Sarah getting back to everyone with the plan for the day. Thank you for responding promptly.
Coaches, Management and Player Power
David Dickson leads the Under 18 Girls coaching. During the year guest coaches/coaching assistants are likely to be called in to assist in the ad-hoc U18 Thursday sessions. Increasingly throughout the season it is hoped that the U18 squad itself will begin to take responsibility for driving the direction and style of training and U18 matchplay and will work in collaboration with coach/manager towards delivering a successful and enjoyable season.
Dave and the coaching team are supported by our Director of Junior Hockey, Dan Fox. For more about Dan's role, please see the Juniors page.
is Squad Manager, looks after Player and Parent Communications and manages Fixtures.