Welcome to the Junior Section
Whether your child has had only a taste of hockey, is an accomplished player wishing to progress to the highest levels of the sport or is a complete beginner, they will find plenty of ways to develop and enjoy their hockey at Guildford.
We have a large and vibrant Junior Section delivering training and matches to more than 600 juniors aged 5 to 18, through the guidance of England Hockey. Our motivated and dedicated group of former and current players who part-time coach alongside outstanding professional coaches are all directed by recently retired GB and Premier League player and two-time Olympian, Dan Fox, the club's Director of Hockey.
Come and see why Guildford is a great place to play. Details of our programme are below and have a look through our Junior Section pages to see what we are about: age group squads and fixtures, half-term courses, tour reports, match reports and more.
New players welcome.
Junior Programme Details
- Weekly training sessions for all players in their age group squads led by a Head Coach and assisted by coaches for excellent coach-to-player ratios.
- Weekly specialist training sessions goalkeepers run by industry leader speicalist goalkeeper coaching company Fortitude UK Ltd.
- Opportunities to play in junior matches and tournaments, both competitive and friendly.
- A Junior Section training programme spanning all age groups based on the England Hockey core skills curriculum, designed and implemented by our Director of Hockey, Dan Fox.
- Coach development sessions and coaching feedback sessions with Director of Hockey, Dan Fox, to ensure our coaches are working with the most modern and relevant techniques and methods.
- Additional mid-week skills sessions for outfield players and keepers (additional charge).
- School holiday skills courses (additional charge) designed and run by Dan Fox with top coaches and international players; see webpage for upcoming dates in the half-terms and school holidays
- Opportunities to play in Men's and Ladies hockey leagues from the age of 13.
- Opportunities to participate in International Tours; recent seasons have included tours to Barcelona, Brussels, Lille and more.
- Opportunities for Indoor hockey training and competitions.
- Opportunities to build skills through coaching and umpiring in our Young Leaders programme. Many players participate in our Young Leaders programme to fulfil their Duke of Edinburgh Award or IB volunteering requirements; many do it for the satisfaction and enjoyment. Participants get coach education sessions and learn and improve their skills through coaching and umpiring our littler Juniors.
- Opportunities for cultural hockey exchanges with overseas players and clubs.
- Discounted Broadwater School Gym membership for parents while the children train on a Friday or Saturday evening
The children experience problem-solving, teamwork and character-building lessons that are part of the fast-paced and social nature of the game we love.
Our season runs from the beginning of September to the end of March (around Easter depending on when the holidays and final league fixtures fall).
Age Groups for Training and Matches
Please note that our squads span two year groups based on school year birthdates as per the England Hockey Championships. For the 2019/20 season, these are:
- Under 8 - turning 6, 7 or 8 on or after 1st September 2019 (school years 2 and 3)
- Under 10 - turning 9 or 10 on or after 1st September 2019 (years 4 and 5)
- Under 12 - turning 11 or 12 on or after 1st September 2019 (years 6 and 7)
- Under 14 - turning 13 or 14 on or after 1st September 2019 (years 8 and 9)
- Under 16 - turning 15 or 16 on or after 1st September 2019 (years 10 and 11)
- Under 18 - turning 17 or 18 on or after 1st September 2019 (years 12 and 13)
Contacts 2019/20 Season
Age Group Squads
- Under 8 Boys and Girls:
- Under 10 Girls:
- Under 10 Boys:
- Under 12 Girls:
- Under 12 Boys:
- Under 14 Girls:
- Under 14 Boys:
- Under 16 Girls:
- Under 16 Boys:
- Under 18 Girls (indoor):
- Under 18 Boys:
- Junior Goalkeepers:
- Club Welfare Officer:
- First Aid:
- GHC Kit Questions:
- Schools Liaison:
- Junior Camps Administrator:
- Pitch Bookings:
- Catering and Clubhouse:
- DBS Checks/document verification:
- DBS Document Verification:
Registration 2019/20 Now Open
Please register for the season...
- Existing members will receive a personalised email from end of July - and a reminder in August - inviting them to renew their membership.
- New members (not previosuly registered), please click here to see our instructions and link for our online registration. Welcome to GHC!
Thank you for registering or re-newing with us. Enjoy the season!
Training Times 2019/20 Season
Friday from 6 Sep to 27 Mar (no training on 20 & 27 Dec)
Under 8s, Under 10s, Under 12 Boys, Under 14 Boys - at GHC Broadwater - GU7 3BW:
- 6.00-7.00pm Under 8s
- 6.00-7.30pm Under 10 Girls
- 6.00-7.30pm Under 10 Boys
- 7.30-9.00pm Under 14 Boys
- 7.30-9.00pm Under 12 Boys
NB - Squads will swap from the New (Blue) to the Old (Green) pitch each half term to have experience of both pitches. Newer, younger Under 8s (Under 6s) are in the Broadwater Sports Hall.
Under 12 Girls, Under 14 Girls, Under 16 Girls, Under 16 Boys - at Charterhouse - GU7 2RS (use GU7 2BY post code to enter Charterhouse Grounds):
- 6.30-8.00pm Under 12 Girls
- 6.30-8.00pm Under 14 Girls
- 8.00-9.30pm Under 16 Girls
- 8.00-9.30pm Under 16 Boys
Mid-week evening sessions (additional charge); please contact g.
- Tuesday 6-7pm GHC Broadwater - TBC
- Thursday - TBC
Under 18 Boys train with Men's teams at the appropriate level (1s and 2s by invitation): Men's 1s Tuesday 8pm, Men's 2s Thursday 8pm, Men's General Training Wednesday 7:30pm.
Under 18 Girls will enter an indoor team into South Finals competition but will not enter into the Girls League or Cup competitions; U18 girls play in our Women's teams. Please contact Maggs Kyte.
Opportunities to Play in Senior Teams
For those Juniors wishing to play in Senior teams, this can be a really good way to progress and challenge yourself. England Hockey requires any juniors playing in adult leagues to be 13 years old.
- Girls wishing to play Adult hockey are welcome to train with Ladies squads on Monday and/or Wednesday evenings (minimum age is 13). Under 18 Girls training sessions will also take place on an ad hoc basis. Please contact your Lead Coach/Squad Manager for more information.
- Boys wishing to play Adult hockey are welcome to train with the appropriate level Men's teams (minimum age is 13): Wednesday (3s, 4s and Vets), Thursday (2s/1s, by invitation), Tuesday & Thursday (1s, by invitation). Please contact your Lead Coach/Squad Manager for more information.
What to Bring
Remember the essentials: mouthguard, shin pads and (named) water bottle. If your child is new to the sport and doesn't yet have a stick, we have sticks to lend.
Trainers are fine but if your child sticks with hockey, you will find that astro trainers will give more grip on the astropitches.
Please make sure your child checks in with the squad manager for attendance before going onto the pitch. Thank you.
One of our Sponsor Partners is a dental surgeon who makes quality, hand-fitted mouthguards. Please contact if you would like to set up a fitting. She is at the club a few times per year which will be advertised in our weekly newsletter during the season. These really are quality products - click on the logo to visit Deb's website.
Our Junior Section runs thanks to the tens of volunteers who generously donate their energy, time and skills to youth hockey. Please if you can spare some time to help. Areas where we need help include both hockey and non-hockey related roles:
- Squad and Team management
- Match reporting
- Support for Tournaments
- Database management
Back to Hockey - Parents Welcome!
And parents, if you are a former or aspiring player and would like to either dust off the cobwebs or learn some basics, please consider our Men's and Ladies Back to Hockey. Light training sessions in a social setting. Please get in touch with (Men) or (Ladies) for more information.