Girls U16 Squads
The Under 16 Girls squad includes girls of all ability levels; some have played for county, club and school, and some are relative beginners. The squad includes the Years 10 and 11 age group, ie girls who either turn 15 or 16 years old during the school year (1 September to 31 August).
The larger U16 Squad is divided into A and B Training Squads with a lead coach for each group. This allows coaching to be delivered at the appropriate level for each girls current skill development. Movement between squads occurs throughout the year depending on individual progress, with many girls having the opportunity to play in both A and B team games during a season.
To discourage an “Elite/Others” mentality creeping in whilst still providing an Elite development opportunity, social interaction/bonding of the full squad is facilitated by ensuring that collective full squad training sessions are also run during the year with mixed ability games.
- Training takes place at Broadwater School from 6.30-8pm on Friday evenings. Please encourage your daughter to arrive early (15mins) to warmup and register at the beginning of each session to ensure we get the full 1.5 hours of training time on the pitch.
- Our Junior Section has a comprehensive training programme for all age groups to ensure that each age group is covering a breadth and depth of skills during the season. This is implemented by our coaches during each session.
- Our coaches work closely with the girls to give feedback on what is working well and identify areas for improvement.
- Mid-week training sessions take place on Tuesday and Thursday evenings from 6pm to 7pm - starting date to be confirmed for this season (£5 charge per session).
- Holiday skills courses are also available and encouraged during school half-term breaks (see Juniors page for details).
- All girls are encouraged to play in 11-a-side U16 matches. Additionally, all of the girls are able to participate in Ladies matches - indeed on any weekend you will find some of our U16 girls are currently representing GHC at 1s, 2s, 3s and 4s level!
- Our Under 16 Girls are entered into two leagues managed by the Home Counties Girls Hockey League:
- We also participate in the England Hockey Junior League competition, EHJL U16 East League 3 (U16As), which can lead to Regional and National competitions.
- Girls are selected for teams based on the types of fixtures, the level of the opposition teams and the availability of the squad on the day. We strive to make sure that each girl is playing in teams and matches that will both develop and challenge her. Most girls who make themselves available for a fixture are selected to play where possible.
- GHC Website - Fixtures and Results can be accessed through this webpage.
- Email - Match details and availability are managed through email. Our squad communications person, Sarah Egerton, asks for player availabilty for fixtures on given dates. She tallies up the replies and sends to the coaches who organise the team(s) for a given day. Sarah then gets back to everyone with the plan for the day. Thank you for responding promptly.
Coaches and Management
David Dickson leads our Under 16 Girls coaching. Technical Coach for the U16A Squad is Chris Poland. Dave and Chris are assisted by Kirsty Rostron, Briege Wyllie, Terry Southwood and Mike Tweedie-Smith.
is Squad Manager and looks after Parent Communications and manages Fixtures.