Welcome to the Junior Section
Have a child who enjoyed watching the recent Olympic hockey or is inspired by Team GB Women's Gold in Rio? Played yourself in school and want your little one to experience all of the great things about hockey? Has your child had a taste of hockey at school and wants more?
Your child will find plenty of ways to improve and enjoy their hockey at Guildford. Come and see why Guildford is a great place to play. Details of our programme are below and have a look through our Junior Section pages to see what we are about: half-term courses, squad pages, tour reports, match reports and more.
New players welcome.
Registration for the 2016/17 season
Whether you are a returning member for the new season or a new potentional member looking to try us out, please complete our online registration form.
New members can sign up as a 'triallist.' Returning members please register as soon as possible.
Full information can be found on our Registration & Subs 2016/17 page.
Junior Programme Details
- Weekly training sessions for all players with additional sessions specifically for goalkeepers
- Opportunities to play in junior matches and tournaments, both competitive and friendly
- A Junior Section training programme spanning all age groups based on the England Hockey core skills curriculum
- Additional mid-week skills sessions for outfield players and keepers (additional charge)
- School holiday skills courses (additional charge); see website for upcoming dates in the half-terms and school holidays
- Opportunities to play in Men's and Ladies hockey leagues
- Opportunities to participate in International Tours
- Opportunities to build skills through volunteering including as part of the Duke of Edinburgh Award; many of our older Juniors help coach our littler Juniors
- Opportunities to participate in coaching and umpiring courses (for our older Juniors)
- Opportunities for cultural hockey exchanges with our sister club in Spain (Junior FC, Sant Cugat, Barcelona)
- Discounted Broadwater School Gym membership for parents while the children train on a Friday or Saturday evening
The children also experience problem-solving, teamwork and character-building lessons that come as part of the fast-paced and social nature of the game we love.
Our season runs from the beginning of September to the end of March (around Easter depending on when the holidays and final league fixtures fall). Please note that our squads span two year groups as per the England Hockey set up and for the 2016/17 season are:
- Under 8 - turning 6, 7 or 8 on or after 1st September 2016 (years 2 and 3)
- Under 10 - turning 9 or 10 on or after 1st September 2016 (years 4 and 5)
- Under 12 - turning 11 or 12 on or after 1st September 2016 (years 6 and 7)
- Under 14 - turning 13 or 14 on or after 1st September 2016 (years 8 and 9)
- Under 16 - turning 15 or 16 on or after 1st September 2016 (years 10 and 11)
- Under 18 - turning 17 or 18 on or after 1st September 2016 (years 12 and 13 at school)
Contacts 2016/17 Season
- Junior Goalkeepers:
- Under 8 Boys and Girls:
- Under 10 Girls:
- Under 10 Boy:
- Under 12 Girls:
- Under 12 Boys:
- Under 14 Girls:
- Under 14 Boys:
- Under 16 Girls:
- Under 16 Boys:
- Under 18 Girls:
- Under 18 Boys:
- Junior GK Academy (see Junior GK webpage, contact Amanda)
Tuesday/Wednesday or Thursday
- 6.00-7.00pm Outfield Skills Sessions - to be re-instated soon
at GHC Broadwater - GU7 3BW
- 6.00-7.00pm Under 8s
- 6.00-7.30pm Under 10 Girls
- 6.00-7.30pm Under 10 Boys
- 7.30-9.00pm Under 12 Girls
- 7.30-9.00pm Under 12 Boys
- 6-7pm Under 12s
- 7-8pm Under 14/16/18 Boys
- 8-9pm Under 14/16/18 Girls
NB - Girls are on the Water pitch and boys on the Sand Sep-Oct half-term, swapping each half-term. Newer, younger Under 8s are in the Broadwater Sports Hall.
at Charterhouse - GU7 2RS (use GU7 2BY post code to enter Charterhouse Grounds)
- 6.30-8.00pm Under 14 Girls
- 6.30-8.00pm Under 16 Girls
- 8.00-9.30pm Under 14 Boys
- 8.00-9.30pm Under 16 Boys
Under 18 Girls are invited to train with the Under 16 Girls on Friday evening and to train with Ladies on Monday and/or Wednesday evenings.
Under 18 boys are welcome to train with the appropriate level Men's teams: Wednesday (3s, 4s and Vets), Thursday (2s, by invitation), Tuesday & Thursday (1s, by invitation). Extra Under 18 Sessions will be planned, usually on a Sunday or Saturday evening.
What to Bring
Remember the essentials: mouthguard, shin pads and (named) water bottle. If your child is new to the sport and doesn't yet have a stick, we have sticks to lend.
Trainers are fine but if your child sticks with hockey, you will find that astro trainers will give more grip on the astropitches.
Please make sure your child checks in with the squad manager for attendance before going onto the pitch. Thank you.
One of our Sponsor Partners is a dental surgeon who makes quality, hand-fitted mouthguards. Please contact if you would like to set up a fitting. She is at the club a few times per year which will be advertised in our weekly newsletter during the season. These really are quality products - click on the logo to visit Deb's website.
Our Junior Section runs thanks to the tens of volunteers who generously donate their energy, time and skills to youth hockey. Please if you can spare some time to help. Areas where we need help include both hockey and non-hockey related roles:
- Squad and Team management
- Match reporting
- Support for Tournaments
- Database management
Back to Hockey
And parents, if you are a former or aspiring player and would like to either dust off the cobwebs or learn some basics, please consider our Men's and Ladies Back to Hockey. Light training sessions in a social setting. Please get in touch with (Men) or (Ladies) for more information.